Re: Not usefull kernel images take all first Debian sarge CD :(

Quoting Adam Majer:
> I agree. This is crazzy. But how the heck do you get this?
>
> > kernel-image-2.4.22-xfs       - ~22 Mb
> > kernel-image-2.4.22-i386      - ~78 Mb

[...]
> So even if you had 8 kernels, that would be 80M. To occupy most of the
> disk, I think you'll need more than 25 kernels..

We have many kernels, here's the list that I excluded yesterday evening:
kernel-image-2.6.0-test11-1-386
kernel-image-2.6.0-test9-1-386
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-386
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-586tsc
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-686
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-686-smp
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-k6
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-k7
kernel-image-2.4.20-3-k7-smp
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-386
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-586tsc
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-686
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-686-smp
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-k6
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-k7
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-k7-smp
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-386
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-586tsc
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686-smp
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k6
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7-smp
kernel-image-2.4.23-1-386
kernel-image-2.4.23-1-586tsc
kernel-image-2.4.23-1-686
kernel-image-2.4.23-1-686-smp
kernel-image-2.4.23-1-k6
kernel-image-2.4.23-1-k7
kernel-image-2.4.23-1-k7-smp

That makes ~30 kernels. I kept 2.4.24* and 2.6.0-1*.

> Anyway, the number of kernel on the CDs should be reduced anyway.
> We should only have the i386 version and let people build their
> own variants if they choose to (or DL from mirrors).

No, IIRC debian-installer installs the good one depending on /proc/cpu.  So
we'd better keep all the variants on the first CD. But we should definitely
stick to one version of the kernel.

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org