Re: Multiple boot images for CD1

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 13:28, Carpenter, Dean wrote:
> I know the other CD's will boot other images, but I'm looking for a single
> CD solution.  Pop in CD1/Install and choose your poison :)  If one boot
> image doesn't work, try another very easily, just pick it from a menu.

Actually this thought has come up a couple of times
before.  FYI, I just tried to build a "simple" CD, that
contained nothing but the potato boot-i386 files, using
ISOLINUX.  I found different results when trying the
resultant image on newer and older hosts....none of it good.

I used  syslinux-1.63  for the test.

1.  ISOLINUX seems to want to find a default image
called "Linux" in its boot directory, although that is not
documented.

2.  When specifying multiple images that are not in
the /isolinux directory, the images could not be located
at boot time.

3. When the images were moved into the /isolinux
directory of the CD, I found on a TYAN Tomcat i810ef,
(s2420) the image would not boot at all.  I then tried
the same image on a TYAN Tiger 200 SMP (s2505t). It
would boot, but would not see images on a long path
(ie /dists/potato/.......current...) and when I tried to load
a kernel image in the /isolinux directory, they would start
to load, then spectactulary blew up with colored characters
all over the screen.

4. I then tried the isolinux-debug.bin as suggested in the
documentation, with similar results.

Although I tried to be pedantic and not only follow the
instructions on the  http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php
web page,  but also variants;  I was not successfull in
setting up a Debian disk with multiple kernel image
boot capability.....but then, I have been known to
be programatically-handicaped - from time to time ;-/

If anyone else has tried to set up ISOLINUX with
Debian boot-disks, I would love to hear from you

- --
Jim Westveer <jwest@netnw.com>
"Bother," said Pooh as he struggled with the computer.
"It never does quite what I want."
"I wish Christopher Robin were here.".
E-Mail: jwest@lcs.issaquah.wa.us      jwest@debian.org
work :  425-591-3002                  jwest@netnw.com
pgp-key 0x36129171                    gpg-key 0x9823336C