Re: Pseudo-Image-kit problems.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Greg Czajkowski wrote:

> Im trying to upgrade my last machine to run linux. I have been trying to
> make an iso image of debian slink 2.1_r4. I am very determined
>
> Here is my setup.crappy Win98SE with 56k modem dialup connection. sux I
> know.
>
> I made the pseudo-image works fine.
>
> When I ran rsync.bat, rsyncreal dies since the pseudo-image kit does not
> come with an
> rsh, and definitely not with an ssh.
> Although the debian-cd web page says 98 is supported, but after one installs
> cygwin and finds an rsh that works in windows. This should be added to the
> readme file.
> Especially the rsh part. Why doesn't the kit come with rsh?

For rsyncing from an anonymous server, rsh isn't used at all. I don't know how
you got that error, but a typo is most likely. (Only one ":" instead of "::"?)

> So eventually, I found an rsh, that was working for the most part. Next step
> was to retry rsynching the image.
>
> Well I ran into the fact the most of the us mirrors on the
> http://cdimage.debian.org/rsync-mirrors.html page need manual modifications
> of the path. In any case,

Correct. The example in the README has an example path, too (which indeed
isn't clearly marked as such). That's the reason why the "directory" commands
are mentioned.

You need the "." here ----------------------------------------------^

> rsyncreal -cvz --partial --progress --stats --block-size=8192 \
> rsync.kernel.org::mirrors/debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .
>
> rsyncreal -vz --partial --progress --stats --block-size=8192 \
> rsync.kernel.org::mirrors/debian-cd/2.1_r4/i386/binary-i386-1.iso .

-c isn't implemented, so it doesn't work. -z doesn't really have very much
effect (the data of the image is compressed already).

> Ive managed to get up to 97% complete. But by then I get an error message:
> read error: Connection reset by peer

This _might_ be due to your ISP.

> I will also try other mirrors. (For results of this go to bottom of this
> email, one of the mirrors completely erased my iso and started from scratch)
> Most of the time no partial files were created. Once there was a partial
> file but on rerun, rsync ignored it. doh.

I have no experience with --partial, but it might well be that you have to do
more to get it working (i.e. it might work otherwise than we think).

> So close, yet so far. I have tried several different rsync binaries found
> around the web, only the one in the kit gets that close. All the others
> freeze/crash.
> Since I cant find a command line ssh that works under Win9x, Im out of luck
> that part.
>
> So in conclusion my questions are:
> Is there a way I can run "rsyncreal" to either create/use the partial images
> (different from above)

As mentioned, I don't know...

> or not drop the connections to the rsync mirrors?

This is a problem of "the other side"; you can try another mirror if this
happens often.

> Does anyone have a pointer to an rsh/ssh that works under win9x console with
> the kit's rsync client  and
> with 56k connections.

You don't need it.

> Issues with the kit for 98.
> No rsh.
> Not sure if needed but the kit should tell users to install cygwin. Although
> cygwin doesn't include rsh.

Every part of cygwin you need is in the kit. You don't have to install
anything else.

> How to get rsync working over proxy. Some of the rsync clents Ive read about
> use the RSYNC_PROXY variable, does the
> 'rsyncreal' client use it? If not the kit should tell people that they're
> out of luck, and find a machine thats not behind a proxy/firewall.

The rsync in the Windows kit is an older version that doesn't have support for
an rsync proxy. I don't know exactly what an "rsync proxy" is, but my
impression is that it is something else than an HTTP proxy. The fact that a
proxy is not supported is already mentioned in the README file.

> Maybe someone has a batch file that will take the user through the entire
> process? I can see why people are bitching. The prcoess is
> a good "filter" against those people. Maybe too good.

If all goes well, only a few commands (and a little bit of browsing) are
needed to get the image, so a batch file is (IMHO) a little bit overdone.
Besides, the Windows platform isn't exactly stable; there sometimes is the
need to restart things, which can't be handled properly with a batch file.
(And the batch language isn't really powerful enough to handle all cases.)

However, for Linux/UNIX systems, we do have a powerful automated mirroring
tool called `debcdmirror', which can be accessed via the 4th choice on
http://cdimage.debian.org/ . With some tinkering, it should be possible to get
it working on Windows/Cygwin.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer