Re: Custom CD

On Tue 08 May, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

> 	Hi,

> 	I am looking to make a custom CD with some of our own software put
> on the cd in addition to the first binary Debian CD.

> 	I have a few questions. I have read the README and I have created a
> Debian CD using the pseudo-image-kit which worked well. However, how do
> I:

> 	1) Add my own packages to the image.
> 	2) Make it so that those packages are viewable by the user at
> install time?

You don't use the pseudo-image-kit for this - you need to use Debian-CD which
creates a CD with appropraite packages files from an archive of packages.

apt-get install debian-cd will get you the packaged version but it you want
to make 2.2r3 CDs or woody CDs you need the version from CVS.
http://cvs.debian.org/debian-cd/

You can add your own packages by putting them in a local directory next to
main. Then they should automatically get noticed, although I think you should
also adjust the overrides files, and maybe some other things - I haven't seen
a good doc on this yet.

> 	3) Is there a way to get debian to preselect packages (since each
> machine will be the same) without having to ask the user which packages
> s/he wants to install?

you can make a task package that lists the set you want. If you make it
essential it might even get installed automatically (but I'm getting beyond
my sphere of knowledge here so I should stop ;-)

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679