Re: cvs commit to debian-cd by costar

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:43:58AM -0700, costar@debian.org écrivait:
> > Branch-off (well, I hope branching succeeds ;-) for potato without the
> > authentication stuff that was intended for woody only.
>
> There's one thing that I don't understand. Not all files have your off22r3
> tag. Only the files that you modified (aka the Makefile) or the
> files where you just wanted to have an older version (scanpackages and
> scansources). However if you don't tag the rest of the sources with
> off22r3 now then you may have difficulties (once modifications have been
> commited) finding what version you used while building the 22r3 CD set ...
> no ?

Let me first say that I don't particularly like the way you're developing
debian-cd at the moment. You're committing all kinds of untested or only
partially tested changes that have more effects than you seem to see. People
expect debian-cd-latest-CVS to produce correct and usable CDs for any Debian
version and any architecture. Well, nothing of that seems to be true at the
moment, and it's far from trivial to get things working again.

If you want to test things, fine. If you want _us_ to test things, excellent!
But either make it _optional_ (as in TESTSECUREDTREE=1) or make a new CVS
branch to develop your stuff. That's one of the big benefits of CVS: you can
develop, test and change anything your heart desires without impacting the
"official" (branch: MAIN) version. You can even develop along multiple paths
at the same time, combining and sharing code where beneficial and
differentiating where necessary. USE those features!

Sorry, I'm just a big bit annoyed. I spent half a day checking, cross-
checking, testing and tinkering to determine what was needed for rev3 and what
wasn't. That's not something I'd like to do again.

Now, that said (and hoping you'll take it to heart), let me show you
something else about CVS. To get the version used to build the 2.2 rev3
images:
  cvs checkout -AP -D2001-04-26 debian-cd
  cvs checkout -AP -roff22r3 -ddebian-cd-22r3 debian-cd
  rm -rf debian-cd-22r3/{,*/}CVS
  cp -a debian-cd-22r3/* debian-cd

But to get all the latest updates and still usable CDs, it's just:
  cvs checkout -AP -f -roff22r3 debian-cd

One tag, two purposes.

However I do expect you to clean up this mess so that we can just use HEAD for
the 2.2 rev4 images. I consider the off22r3 tags as temporary workaround
(which is why I called it specifically "rev3" rather than "potato").

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer