rsync vs FTP/HTTP

As I sit here creating my ISO image using rsync I think, "Why don't all
the debian mirrors simply carry the ISO image instead of the file
distribution?" Most *NIX implementations have a method to mount an ISO
image as a filesystem, like a loopback mount. So a server could serve up
the ISO image and the filesystem distribution with only the ISO image
stored locally on disk. So everybody would become an ISO distributer!!

It seems that it would be a simpler solution to the problem rather that
adding complexity to it with a solution like rsync.

-daniel garcia