FreeBSD 8.3 for Wheezy?

Hi,

I wondered if the plan was for Wheezy to carry FreeBSD 8.3?  (as an
option alongside 9.0).  RC1 is out, just about on schedule[1], so the
release might be expected in about three weeks.

Upstream plan[2] to drop security support for 8.2 (and 8.1) on
2012-06-31 and offer extended support for 8.3 once it is released (i.e.
2 years, so possibly until 2014-03).

Squeeze users with kfreebsd-8 8.1 and ZFS, are currently unable to
upgrade to 8.2;  Wheezy has zfsutils 9.0 which is hopefully still
compatible with 8.3.

I recall that 8.3 would make the situation easier for root-on-ZFS
installs too (the installer can only provide one version of zfsutils).

This will need plenty of testing but I'm sure many more people would be
doing that if 8.3 reaches the daily debian-installer images.

Also it would seem 8.3 avoided whatever issue caused #651624 (Booting
from zfs root seems to not work 8.3 and 10.0 however work [3]) although
I was never able to reproduce it.

As far as I know #658617 (compatibility with CAM in 9.0 userland [4])
would still be an issue for 8.3, but is an issue for 8.2/8.1 already.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.3R/schedule.html
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=651624#5

Steven Chamberlain