ZFS v28 (Re: ZFS support in GRUB)

2010/8/10, Robert Millan <rmh@gnu.org>:
> - Only ZFS up to (and including) version 14 is supported.  [...] complete
>   support for ZFS in root isn't currently being worked on.  We need
>   help in this area.

Taking [1] into account I guess there will be interest for v28 support
in GRUB sometime in the near future.

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-August/019541.html

It's come to my attention, after speaking with the Solaris engineer
working on GRUB 2, that Oracle has an update of GRUB ZFS code
to a recent version.  They have plans to release this code, I suppose
with Solaris 11 (which will presumably use GRUB 2), but I don't know
details about their timeline yet.

OTOH, latest OpenSolaris / Illumos already have recent ZFS code,
but it's for GRUB Legacy.  GRUB 2's ZFS implementation (in
grub-extras) is based on an earlier version of OpenSolaris' grub-0.97,
and it shouldn't be too hard to resync it if necessary.

If someone is interested in doing this resync, I recommend you speak
with Vladimir Serbinenko first.

> - Multi-device arrays are not supported.

They're also working on this (striped arrays and RAIDZ).