Re: /libexec/ld.elf_so

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 03:54:04PM +1000, matthew green wrote:

> hi folks.
>
> just a FYI.
>
> not sure if you saw or not, but when netbsd switched to dynamic
> everything, a new /libexec directory was created to hold ld.elf_so.
> it's not in /lib.

Hmmm. The origional plan had said /lib. Oh well. Not crucial for the
moment, in any case, since it won't be in the tree until 1.6.x or 1.7
or whatever comes out of -current next; 1.6 has it in /usr/libexec/,
and that's where the current setup keeps it for now. We'll deal with it
(probably by symlinks) when it moves in the stable upstream codebase.

> btw, what is the status of libc vs. glibc?  if glibc is the 'default'
> how does someone run a standard netbsd application on a deb/netbsd
> machine?

NetBSD is native libc. FreeBSD is GNU libc. Beward of trying to run native
applications, however; they may or may not be linked against the same
versions of various libraries that Debian has (though, in theory, if the
soname matches it SHOULD work, and if it doesn't, it should fail on the
inability to link at runtime).
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/