re: Fakeroot

   > there are lots of versioned system calls.  i'm sure this really
   > affects more than fstat().  the others probably just cause less
   > drastic (but potentially more dangerous!) lossage.

   Yup, it looks like fstat, lstat, stat, chown, chown, fchown, lchown and
   possibly a couple of others that I've missed are affected. It ought to be
   pretty trivial to fix them, though.

hmm.  i see this as far as real syscalls:

	__msync13
	__stat13
	__fstat13
	__lstat13
	__sigaltstack14
	__vfork14
	__sigaction14
	__sigpending14
	__sigprocmask14
	__sigsuspend14
	__sigreturn14
	__semctl13
	__msgctl13
	__shmctl13

the *chown ones are only for -lposix i believe.  see chown(2).
also, look for the RENAME() macro in <sys/*.h> and <*.h>, but
note that there are lots of non-syscall ones.