Re: thoughts on architectures

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 05:18:51PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
> Maybe there should be several "layers" of Packages files.

I don't think the distributor should try to anticipate the needs of
individual users of the distribution at this level.

If you want to get rid of all emulated packages, just remove the emulator
providing package (or just drop its Provides:) and remove everything that is
not installable now because of dependencies.  This is a fully automated
process.  (I think you already have such a process fro CD building, so this
is nothing new for you).

There might be other metadata in the package that shows if a package is a
special optimization, or is only available if emulated.  Such metadata might
be available implicit and only be valid in the universe the package is
distributed in (eg depends on the selection of virtual names chosen).
I think this is something that could be added to the design at any time,
when it is more clear how an implementation would look like.

This is indeed an implementation detail.  Special casing the selection
rules for the distribution, so that some packages would be installed in
different Packages files (based on the criteria they were enabled for
the distribution) certainly be possible.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de