Packaging progress, packaging problems

I was able to build gettext with no problems, and the same with sudo and
libtool.  Sudo required an /etc/hosts file containing the current computer,
as well as the unsetting of the original BSD $SHELL value (from within the
chroot), to work correctly, but it works fully, with no errors, once all
that is done. Fakeroot seems to be linking with -ldl, which neither
exists nor is necessary with NetBSD's libc. How can I get it to avoid
linking with -ldl? Except for that I think I have fakeroot compiling
OK. Sharutils had an undefined symbol error on _nl_default_dirname, but
worked when I disabled nls. What might be wrong with the nls support?

The /etc/ld.so.conf file needs to be mode 644 and not mode 600, because
with the more restrictive modes, processes running as non-root (yes I
have gotten that to work) can't see any of the libs in /lib, such as
ncurses. It's an easy change to make.

Also, /dev/null needs to be mode 666 and /tmp/ needs to be mode 1777.
Various things break otherwise as non-root with Permission denied
errors.

Next, while compiling vim (without perl/python/tcl/gtk support), I noticed
that mkdir foo/ gives a No such directory error, while mkdir foo works fine
(note the absence of a slash). This is because the version of GNU fileutils
that is included is from 1999 rather than 2001 (version 4.0l rather than
4.1). Apparently fileutils Build-Depends on groff, which needs debconf,
which needs dialog. All of those are good things to have, so I'm gonna
do them all.

I am soon going to make a list of everything in the tarball that is not
yet packaged, and I'll make a "filler" package with all that stuff. That
way, the thing I describe in the next paragraph can work. Plus, it'll
make it very easy to list exactly what we need to package (dpkg -L
yet-to-package, for example), and we can steadily remove things from
increasing revisions of this package. It'll be like checking things off
a list! :-) We'll just have to coordinate who does what, which shouldn't
be hard if we all use this list.

Also, I'm going to set up debootstrap along with a package mirror
(aptable of course) so that we can have people set up their systems "the
debian way". (I may even put it in my home directory on an official Debian
server.) It basically gets the base .debs, extracts them, and sets up a
chrootable environment, all without dpkg or apt. It does any debconf
stuff that's required, too (using the noninteractive frontend).

And yes I do mean .debs - the binary kind. Do we have any aptable source
for those yet?

That's more enough for my first substantive email to this list - but see
below the sig for a bit more ;-)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org

P. S. - Sorry if I've overstepped any bounds for someone new to the
debian-bsd project. I do think I will be able to help out in these
important ways, and hopefully do my part to help jumpstart things. If
someone else wants to do any of these things instead, just speak up. Or,
if you are already working on any of these things, of course speak up
and I'll try to be helpful to you if I can be.