Re: Soooooooo...

On my FreeBSD chroot:

skaro:/skaro/world# dpkg --root=/skaro/world -l
ii  binutils       2.11.90.0.7-2  The GNU assembler, linker and binary utiliti
ii  cpp            2.95.3-7       The GNU C preprocessor.
ii  cpp-2.95       2.95.4-0.01042 The GNU C preprocessor.
ii  debianutils    1.15           Miscellaneous utilities specific to Debian.
ii  dpkg           1.9.16         Package maintenance system for Debian
ii  ed             0.2-19         The classic unix line editor
ii  fileutils      4.1-2          GNU file management utilities.
ii  gcc            2.95.3-7       The GNU C compiler.
ii  gcc-2.95       2.95.4-0.01042 The GNU C compiler.
ii  gzip           1.2.4-33       The GNU compression utility.
ii  html2text      1.2.4-6        An advanced HTML to text converter.
ii  libncurses5    5.2.20010318-2 Shared libraries for terminal handling
iU  libncurses5-de 5.2.20010318-2 Developer's libraries and docs for ncurses
ii  ncurses-bin    5.2.20010318-2 Terminal-related programs and man pages
ii  perl-5.005     5.005.03-7.1   Larry Wall's Practical Extracting and Report
ii  perl-5.005-bas 5.005.03-7.1   The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
ii  perl-5.005-deb 5.005.03-7.1   View internals of Perl and debug Perl itself
ii  perl-5.005-doc 5.005.03-7.1   Man pages and pod docs for Perl
iF  perl-5.005-sui 5.005.03-7.1   Runs setuid Perl scripts.
ii  perl-5.005-thr 5.005.03-7.1   Experimental Perl binary with threading enab
ii  sed            3.02-6         The GNU sed stream editor.
ii  tetex-base     1.0.2+20000804 basic teTeX library files
iF  tetex-bin      1.0.7+20001218 teTeX binary files
ii  texinfo        4.0-5          Documentation system for on-line information
ii  textutils      2.0-7          The GNU text file processing utilities.

Caveats:

* dpkg-shlibdeps is broken, because ldd doesn't work on shared libraries on
  FreeBSD.
* shellutils: who won't compile on FreeBSD. It needs some structure members
  for utmp that aren't there. Broke the makefile not to compile it.
* sed: the check never finishes. (Ran at 100% cpu overnight on my 1.3Ghz Athlon
  == never finishes...)
* gcc: was a complete PITA until I figured out that I didn't have the archtable
  setup right in dpkg, and configure was doing bogus things with the arch. I
  also disabled everything but gcc itself. (No gcj, g77, gpc, etc.) I think I
  had to hack the Makefile for some hurd/linux logic that didn't handle
  freebsd. There were a couple packages like that.
* perl: maintainer did bogus architecture mangling. It was trying to configure
  for freebsd-i386-linux...  5.6.1 wouldn't compile at all. Downgraded to 5.005
* debianutils: hacked it to compile with freelibiberty, because it wanted to
  use getopt, and thought it should be in libc. Did this to another package,
  but I can't remember which one.
* Several packages required disabling the documentation because it required
  SGML or texinfo. SGML tools on Debian need python, and I didn't feel like
  dealing with it yet.

I keep running into problems due to not having glibc, so I'm taking a look at
porting it next, rather than trying to port all of Debian off of it. Hopefully
that'll take care of some of the really icky problems. (i.e. sysvinit,
debianutils, etc.) It looks like I need to port ld.so, too, and probably have
to hack the FreeBSD kernel to use it, because of the dpkg-shlibdep problem.
(That's actually easy. It's a one-line patch to switch the loader path,
which'll have to happen anyway to become FHS compliant.)

Anyway, I'm working on FreeBSD, making decent progress, and having a lot of
fun. If this helps people working on NetBSD, that's cool too.

	----Nathan

P.S. Wartan, your English (at least your writing) is better than a lot of
native speakers...