Re: A bit of code and a bunch of thoughts.

On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 06:29:06AM +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> These are my set of patches to make apt and dpkg compile
> on FreeBSD 4.2. The versions I used are rather old, but..
> these were the first I've found.
This is good, this is very good. :) I will start merging this into a
current version of apt and dpkg as soon as I got my internet access up
and running under NetBSD (damn ISDN).

> Apt archive is just a set of patches that I've made to make
> apt compile. It does not contain any Makefile and other stuff
> to make it a full port. And the last thing: I didn't tried
That's not needed, anyway. We only need some sources that can be
compiled and installed, and then we can start creating packages and
stuff.

> So, as a short summary, I see no need in making BSDs
> SysV-compatible, porting glibc, making ext2fs the default
> (crazy idea :), and so on.
I think these were the most misunderstood points.
1) having the startup scripts in the SysV style is just the Debian way.
   We simply have to implement it if we want to be compatible with Debian
   GNU/Linux.
2) Some people considered porting glibc to BSD, which is IMO not a very
   good idea. It's quite a lot of work. BSD libc is Good Enough(tm), and
   not as bloated as glibc (on NetBSD, all files in /bin are statically
   linked and have a size around 200-300 kB. when you statically link
   that stuff with glibc, you get files with a size around 1 MB (IIRC)).

> P.S. By the way, in my mind, this is the first code sent to
> the list, so everybody say "Ho!", and get some beer :)
Not yet. :) I will have some beer when I have the very first Debian
package built on BSD on my harddisk. :) (my addiction to beer will make
me work even faster ;) SCNR)

Regards and thanks for your code,
Andreas Krennmair
--
It's OK, it's OK, you don't have to run and hide away,
It's OK, it's OK, you know I love you anyway.