Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea!

On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 09:48:13PM -0600, Dan Potter wrote:
> Hi all, sorry if this isn't a proper message for this list but what the
> heck. =)
>
> I just joined on here because at work we are currently using Debian 2.1
> for hosting servers, but we really need the capabilities of FreeBSD.
>
> The deal is that we've engineered this really screwy chroot-based virtual
> domain system using NFS over localhost and symlinks. There is a "skeleton"
> tree that contains a basic Debian 2.1 system (which you can chroot into
> and use dpkg, etc, on) and then for each virtual domain there is a
> "skel-vol" NFS mount of the skeleton tree, and a "domain" tree that
> contains all the data neccessary for the single domain. This is glued
> together with symlinks.
>
> I've been exploring the possibilities in the FreeBSD kernel using unionfs
> and portalfs. Right now my developmental working model involves a skeleton
> FreeBSD4.0-CURRENT system mounted below a domain-specific tree. Inside the
> skeleton is a portalfs with a modified mount_portal that handles creating
> config files through translators (e.g., you can ask for a passwd for a
> specific domain and it creates it from a SQL table).
>
> However, the FreeBSD packaging system and FS layout leaves a bit to be
> desired (personally) after using Debian for quite some time. So I'm
> excited to see what comes out of this project.
>
> So I guess what I'm really getting at is: is there a repository of
> packages anywhere that can be played with on a real system? How "stable"
> is this? (hurd-stable, woody-stable, potato-stable, or slink-stable =) Is
> it built mostly around emulation of Linux binaries or is there an actual
> porting effort going on? I know a few of these things were mentioned on
> the general devel list amidst a large group of flames (grr!) a while back
> but I couldn't find a debian-bsd list archive anywhere on the Debian site.

	I believe there are a dozen or two people sub'd to this
	list and one or two folks doing anything with DebianBSD;
	and I think it would catch fire.  I'd put it on my  2nd
	or 3rd box even at a pre-alpha level.

	gary

	PS:  This list sees mail now about monthly, up from quarterly
	     a year ago.

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix