Re: DRAFT: Email to RMS (take 2)

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 04:15:45PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Joel Baker wrote:
>
> >    a GPL compatible license); this question is solely about linking against
> >    the libraries which are build from the non-third-party source found in
> >    the NetBSD souce tree.
>
> Do you have any specific examples of this?
>
> I may be misunderstanding but has there ever been a GNU license that
> doesn't allow linking the GNU software against anything?
>
> (Because I know a lot of GPL'd code uses closed-source libraries on
> proprietary systems.)
>
>   Jeremy C. Reed
>      BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
>      http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

Please see the archives of debian-legal, both on the current thread for
this and past threads regarding linking GPL binaries and non-GPL-compatible
licenses (and what constitutes the latter).

In short.... "Yes, such things have occured". The OpenSSL fracas is just
one of the more memorable cases. There have been a number of others.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/