Re: GNU GNU GNU

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:13:07AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > The reason why we should call this a GNU system is that it is the GNU project
> > is the reason why free operating systems are popular at all nowadays. Are you
>
> I disagree. It is *one* of the reasons.

It's one of the biggest reasons.

> > one of those people who thinks "Linux" popped up because Linus
> > Torvalds wrote a kernel and then looked around for a userland to go
> > with it and by pure coincidence he found everything he needed? *clue
> > bat* That wasn't a coincident at all, it was a result of the GNU
> > project, which was started back when Linus Torvalds was running around
> > in diapers. And GNU/Linux is what has made free operating systems
> > popular.
>
> I know "diapers" is an exaggeration. But it is important to note that a
> lot of freely-distributable, open source was available before GNU existed.

There were some free pieces yes. But there wasn't a free system. BSD
had a lot of legal issues AFAIK.

> > And even though we in this case have chosen not to use the GNU Kernel
> > (which, BTW, is called "HURD") nor the GNU C Library, we still have
> > tons of GNU software involved. autoconf, bash, binutils, bison, chill,
> > cpio, cpp, file, fileutils, findutils, gcc, info, less, m4, make, sed,
> > shellutils, tar, etc. Not exactly small stuff.
>
> Yes, but as another poster suggested -- it would be nice for the Debian
> administrator to be able to choose to use BSD equivalents.

There is still a lot of software from the BSD projects and a lot of
software from GNU, so we should name both IMHO.

> And be sure to note that many Debian-packaged software and resources are
> not GNU-related. And most importantly, many of the key "Debian NetBSD"
> utilities are not GPL'd.

I don't see what licenses have to do with this discussion.

> > The Debian Project has chosen to associate itself with the ideals of the GNU
> > project and develop GNU-based and/or GNU-like operating systems, and that's
>
> It seems like it has been hard to decide to even call it GNU/Linux. (If I
> recall correctly, it was sometimes changed back and forth.)
>
> > what we are doing here. We might as well say so.
>
> Please don't say "we". I personally feel like I am sometimes forced to use
> GPL'd projects. (This is getting off-topic for this list, but I'd be glad
> to expand on this.)

I think you use GPL'd software, not GPL'd projects. But of course some
proprietary piece software with some BSD licensed code like windows
is better than a GPL'd software.

> My vote is for "Debian NetBSD".

My vote is for Debian GNU/NetBSD or Debian GNU/BSD.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org