Re: packages for base system

Well Andreas,
		first of all we need to be able to build the
base system (I mean a working and clean one) and this will
for sure take long time. Then all the other nice things
will come (CD's, boot-floppies..) etc...

I practised quite a lot building custom i386 boot-floppies
and it's not so easy like it seems and it really requires
tons of pkgs already up and running.

I'm telling you this because I had exactly your point of view
sometimes in the past and one person here in the mailing list
(sorry I don't remember the name) made me understand that's
mostly the latest part of building a distro.

Regards
Fabio

Andreas Krennmair wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 11:30:27AM +0200, Fabbione wrote:
> > Hi don't completly agree.. please read my comments below
> >
> > > dpkg-ftp - Ftp method for dselect
> > > dpkg-mountable - Enhanced access method for dselect
> > > dpkg-multicd - Installation method for multiple binary CDs
> > > libnet-perl - Implementation of internet protocols for Perl
> >
> > those are all marked like extra/optional packages. Do we really need
> > them from the beginning???
> Well, they're part of the base system. For the beginning we can leave
> them away, of course, but we'll need them when we want to build
> installation CDs.
>
> Andreas Krennmair
> --
> We'll try to make different mistakes this time
>   -- Larry Wall

 Fabio Massimo Di Nitto
 Debian GNU/Linux Testing/Unstable Kernel 2.4.3
 Office for the Complication of Otherwise Simple Affairs
 PROUD TO BE MICROSOFT FREE!