Re: Debian Installer Buster RC 2 release

Hi,

Just a quick note.

On 6/26/19 7:49 PM, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the second release
> candidate of the installer for Debian 10 "Buster".
>

> Improvements in this release
> ============================
>
>  * choose-mirror:Hi
>     - Update Mirrors.masterlist.
>  * cryptsetup:
>     - New section “Unlocking LUKS devices from GRUB” pointing to:
>       https://cryptsetup-team.pages.debian.net/cryptsetup/encrypted-boot.html

The guide states the following:

,----
| But as of Buster cryptsetup(8) defaults to a new LUKS header format
| version, which isn’t supported by GRUB as of 2.04. Hence the
| pre-Buster workarounds won’t work anymore.
`----

But looking at cryptsetup(8)[1], it is not mentioned that luks2
is default, in fact it seems to tell the opposite:

[1] https://manpages.debian.org/testing/cryptsetup-bin/cryptsetup.8.en.html

,----
| LUKS2 is a new version of header format that allows additional extensions like
| different PBKDF algorithm or authenticated encryption. You can format device
| with LUKS2 header if you specify --type luks2 in luksFormat command. For
| activation, the format is already recognized automatically.
`----
[2] https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/blob/master/man/cryptsetup.8#L241

and

,----
| To use LUKS2, specify --type luks2.
`----
[3] https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/blob/master/man/cryptsetup.8#L278

Is the guide wrong or is there a (RC) bug in the man page?

Regards,
 - Darsha

P.s. I am not on the list, I read this via debian-devel-announce.