Re: Easier installer?

Hi,

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> - First screen of the installer allows to select a language
> - Second screen has three sections: "Localisation" (which has a button
>   for selecting the keyboard layout, one for language support allowing
>   to select additional languages, and one for time/date settings),
>   "Software" (with a button for the installation source and their
>   equivalent of tasksel), and "System" (which has a button for their
>   partitioner and one for the network configuration)
> - The partitioner defaults to "automatic partitioning", but you have to
>   enter it and confirm it by selecting the proper hard disk (presumably
>   so you can't accidentally overwrite your data)
> - Once you make the correct settings in that screen, you click on "Start
>   installation". The next screen will cause the actual installation to
>   start (i.e., the installer will partition & format hard disks, start
>   downloading packages, and install them). It also has two buttons for
>   user settings (you can enter a root password and/or create a non-root
>   user).
>
> ... and that's it.

Another benefit:
with a concept like the above it would be possible to prepare everything
beforehand (ask all questions), then start the whole installation, go to
bed and when you wake up in the morning, it's ready. :-)
Especially if you install many packages (by selecting one or more desktop
tasks for example), that would be a real benefit, since the installation
might last a significant time.

With the installer like it is now, you need to stay at the machine, since
there might pop up new questions.

(ok, you can use preseeding for an unattended installation, but that's not
for beginners)

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.1 under
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   9   " S T R E T C H " .