Re: debian-7.1.0-i386-netinst included installer can not detect network hardware

On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 17:03 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:19:23PM +0200, Mgr. Janusz Chmiel wrote:
> > Dear core developers,
> > I Am very happy, when i have found out, that thanks to MR Samuel
> > Tibault, there is possibility to have speech support while using
> > debian-7.1.0-i386-netinst and integrated installer.
> > I do not know, why, but i AM helpless to install Debian system
> > because The process of detecting network hardware can not be
> > completed successfully. The progress bar stay at the 95 percent.
> > I Am using IBM Thinkpad model 2668
> > It is very sad, because i Am sure, that Linux kernel is containing
> > The driver for The integrated Broadcomm Extreme Ethernet Network
> > chip.
>
> Those network devices require non free firmware to operate, which
> is not included in the debian installer.

This is not true for most Broadcom Netxtreme controllers supported by
the tg3 driver, and certainly not for the chip in this machine
(BCM5751M).

You may be thinking of the Broadcom Netxtreme II and IIx controllers
supported by the bnx2 and bnx2x drivers.  Those are mostly found in
servers.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct one.