Re: trouble with networking on T40

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 03:13:31PM -0500, Michael Shuler wrote:
> On 03/31/2013 02:08 PM, Chris Frey wrote:
> > Do I need to put this file in a special directory?
>
> Yes:
> "To prepare a USB stick (or other medium like a hard drive partition, or
> floppy disk), the firmware files or packages must be placed in either
> the root directory or a directory named /firmware of the file system on
> the medium."
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch06s04.html

I don't know if the wiki is meant for the development version of
debian-installer or not, but this is where I was led astray:

	http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firmware_during_the_installation

	"When the installer starts, it will automatically find the firmware
	tarball on the removable storage and, if needed, install the firmware
	for your hardware. The link to the firmware download for your Debian
	version is
	http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/.";

> I believe this works fine, but I have not needed to do an install with
> firmware for quite some time (someone correct me if I'm wrong, please).
>
> Create your USB install media as usual, create a /firmware directory on
> it, and untar the contents of firmware.tar.gz in the /firmware
> directory. Boot, install, enjoy. :)

It worked beautifully! :-)  I tested on a ThinkPad T40, with a USB wifi
adapter also plugged in (which also needed firmware), and the installer
found both, and listed them for me to select, and I was able to connect with
the adapter.  I put the firmware in /firmware on the same USB key that I
booted from (using unetbootin).

Thanks very much!!

If I could make one suggestion, it would be to put this information in
point form instead of a paragraph, and maybe even put the instructions in
the installer screen, so the user knows what to do.  Maybe I missed it,
but the installer only seemed to ask for the firmware file itself, and
didn't tell me how to provide it to the installer.

Again, thanks!

- Chris