Re: Using xz compression for initrd udebs?

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 06:48:57AM +0200, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> One of  my co-maintainers for fonts changed the fonts-sil-abyssinica
> package to use xz compression for *deb packages.
>
> Is it OK to upload the package with such change, d-i wise? This is the
> only change along with the drop of an empty directory in the package
> (cruft left from ttf-* -> fonts-* naming transition)?
>
> I think it should hurt and would indeed reduce the initrd size
> slightly...as long as we do support xz uncompression in the D-I
> initrd.

udebs are already compressed with xz by default without further intervention
when a current debhelper is installed. arch:all packages cannot be binNMUed,
however. So if you did check the udeb in the archive and it's not
xz-compressed, a no change upload with a current chroot should solve that.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern