Installation-guide cleanup

Hello everybody,

I have been looking through the installation guide and tried to
read it from a "new user" perspective.

It contains quite a bit of "historic" material, which was
relevant for older debian releases but is not relevant any more
today, and it references several outdated external documents.
None of this content is technically wrong, but it makes the text
hard to read and distracts the reader from the things which are
relevant today.

Examples for this are cases made for CDROM drives from the 386
era with proprietary ISA controllers, DOS installations on 386
era PCs with DOS-overlay harddisk drivers to overcome limitations
of non-LBA capable BIOSes, descriptions of having to boot DOS and
run fips.exe to resize partitions, booting from floppy disks, PCs
not being able to boot from CDROMs, Monitors with limited color
depth (this could happen on some rather exotic "prehistoric"
CRTs), references to commercial Windows tools which are not
available any more since years and which do not work on modern
Windows versions, etc. pp.

Examples for outdates external references are things like the
Linux CD-ROM HOWTO (last update 2001) and the Linux
Hardware-HOWTO (last update 2005 and large parts of the content
from the 90s).  Referring a new user to these to determine
whether his/her hardware is supported is not useful anymore.

If there are no objections, I would start working on the
installation guide and remove (and in some cases replace) several
outdated parts.  Due to limited time available on my side this
will probably have to be done bit by bit during the next weeks.
If possible, it would be helpful if I could get svn commit
access, so I could regularly commit the reworked parts.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der