Re: Install Debian Squeeze on Alix 2d2 over Serial Console

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:35:23AM +0200, Jonas Meier wrote:
> dear list
>
> I want to install Debian Squeeze on a Alix 2d2 (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm). This little Box only boots from a CF-Card or PXE and can only be managed over a serial interface.
>
> So I installed tfpd-hpa on an other server, downloaded the Debian Netboot from (ftp://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/dists/squeeze/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/) and configured the daemon. In "pxelinux.cfg/default" I added the line "serial 0 38400". Now when I started the Alix board and booted it over PXE I came to the menu, where I could choose the normal or the expert installation. No matter which one I choose, I always had the error "Undefined video mode number: 314". Here a copy of the output:
> -------------------------
> Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok
> Undefined video mode number: 314
> Press <ENTER> to see video modes available, <SPACE> to continue, or wait 30 sec
> Mode: Resolution:  Type: ER to boot or TAB to edit a menu entry
> 0 F00   80x25      CGA/MDA/HGC
> It doesn't matter what I do, nothing happens. How can I define that it should use again the serial console and not an other video mode?

If it doesn't have video but only serial, then you probably have to pass
an option to the kernel when booting to disable the normal video.

Something like:

console=ttyS0,38400 video=off

I didn't look them up to check that I remembered them right.

--
Len Sorensen