Re: [EFI] grub-installer: use grub-efi for EFI machines

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:06:06AM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

>Hi Steve

Hey Gaudenz,

>> Reasonably simple changes here, again heavily inspired by Ubuntu
>> code. One extra issue I found - it looks like /sys and /proc need to
>> be mounted in /target when we run the postinst, otherwise we'll fail
>> to drive efibootmgr. I've added code to do that here, but I'm not sure
>> it's the right way to do it - better suggestions welcome!
>
>From the debian-installer-utils README file:
>in-target: Runs the specified command in /target and returns its exit
>status. The debconf passthrough frontend is used to make debconf questions
>be asked using cdebconf in the installer. This is especially useful for
>running things like dpkg-reconfigure, debconf-apt-progress, and tasksel.
>The log-output utility is used to log any output; if in-target is called
>with the option --pass-stdout, log-output will respect it.
>
>The README does not say so explicitly but in-target takes care of all
>the necessary setup to have a woking chroot in /target including
>mounting of /sys and /proc. IMO it's the prefered way to run commands
>chrooted to /target even if you don't need the full setup.

ACK. Maybe grub-installer needs tweaking to do this in its
postinst. Not my code to be able to say that - anyone else?

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer