Re: [RFH] Release of D-I Alpha1

On Sat, 2012-04-28 at 13:43 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> By the way, I have a question.  What is the difference between
> the netboot and the xen image ?  I thought I would need the xen
> image on the Amazon cloud, but it worked well with the
> simple netboot (which is good as the xen image did not build today).

A 32 bit PV Xen guest must have PAE (large physical addressing) enabled
in the kernel and so the 32 bit the netboot/xen image uses a PAE kernel.
The plain netboot kernel is a 486 non-PAE kernel for compatibility with
the widest range of native machines.

There is no PAE/non-PAE distinction on 64 bit, all 64 bit kernels are
effectively PAE already. So on 64 bit netboot/xen is actually just a
symlink to the regular netboot, the only reason it exists really is for
parity with 32 bit (i.e. it's easier to just unconditionally say "use
netboot/xen on xen").

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell