Re: preseeding vs lvm

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:49:07 +0100, Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
>> Patryk Ściborek <patryk@sciborek.com> writes:
>>
>> > But to my surprise it creates much bigger PV than I want:
>> > [...]
>> > And LV root takes all available space:
>>
>> Last time I checked it was impossible to preseed an LVM setup where not
>> all the space was allocated.  I had to resort to custom scripts invoked
>> by custom partman menu items to achieve this.
>
> I was under the impression that one could sepcify a 'keep' partition to
> leave space unallocated, as seen here:
>
>  http://hands.com/d-i/squeeze/classes/partition/lvm-spare/preseed
>
> I'm pretty sure I've used that for real deployments (please tell me if
> you think it doesn't work).
>
> Obviously you'll want to waeve those snippets into your own scripts,
> unless you also adopt the superstruture in the ditrectories above.
>
> Also, I'm surprised that I couldn't instantly find the relevant docs.
> We should probably fix this.  We still seem to have references to the
> old home in svn in the manual, whereas we probably ought to be pointing
> at somewhere like:
>
>  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=d-i/debian-installer.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/devel/partman-auto-recipe.txt;hb=HEAD
>
> (not that that makes it clear that keep works with LVM, but it doesn't
> say it doesn't)

I made a partition to fill empty space. What's interesting it works
only if this partition is before PV:

              2048 5 2048 ext3                                \
                      $primary{ } $bootable{ }                \
                      method{ format } format{ }              \
                      use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 }    \
                      mountpoint{ /boot }                     \
              .                                               \
              2048 10000 1000000000 ext3                      \
                      $primary{ }                             \
                      method{ keep }                          \
              .                                               \
              51200 10 51200 ext3                             \
                      $primary{ }                             \
                      method{ lvm } vg_name{ servervg }       \
              .                                               \

When I change order to:

              2048 5 2048 ext3                                \
                      $primary{ } $bootable{ }                \
                      method{ format } format{ }              \
                      use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 }    \
                      mountpoint{ /boot }                     \
              .                                               \
              51200 10 51200 ext3                             \
                      $primary{ }                             \
                      method{ lvm } vg_name{ servervg }       \
              .                                               \
              2048 10000 1000000000 ext3                      \
                      $primary{ }                             \
                      method{ keep }                          \
              .                                               \

It uses last partition as PV...

Unfortunately there is similar problem with logical volumes. I have:

              100% 1 100% linux-swap                          \
                      $lvmok{ }                               \
                      in_vg{ servervg } lv_name{ swap }       \
                      method{ swap } format{ }                \
              .                                               \
              20480 10 20480 ext3                             \
                      $lvmok{ }                               \
                      in_vg{ servervg } lv_name{ root }       \
                      method{ format } format{ }              \
                      use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 }    \
                      mountpoint{ / }                         \
              .                                               \
              2048 1000 1000000000 ext3                           \
                      $lvmok{ }                               \
                      in_vg{ servervg } lv_name{ removeme }   \
                      method{ keep }                          \
              .

If root definition is first it creates LV which fills whole VG. If
something else is first, it says that LV can't be created (I don't
remember exact message).

I think I will try something like this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-boot@lists.debian.org/msg88630.html

Regards,