Re: uboot-envtools-udeb or uboot-installer

Excerpts from Martin Michlmayr's message of Mon Jul 05 13:32:34 +0200 2010:
> * Per Andersson <avtobiff@gmail.com> [2010-06-30 16:40]:
> > Should I put the partman check.d scripts in the flash-kernel udeb,
> > uboot-envtools udeb, or somewhere completery different?
>
> I don't know what your check.d scripts look like but if they are
> generic I'd stick them somewhere in partman so other people can reuse
> them.

I can see that that's the way it has been done until now. So probably
this is the way the d-i team wants this to be done. But to me it seems
a bit strange to scatter all these device dependant thing into all
these different packages (partman, flash-kernel, ...). I would prefer
a design where we have one device specific udeb which contains all the
helper scripts that plug into the infrastructure provided by the base
d-i components like partman. Like this we could only include them in
those images that actually use them.

> But does partman-ext3/check.d/ext2_or_ext3_boot, which already exists,
> not do what you're to do or can be extended to?

IIRC this only ensures that /boot is ext2 or ext3. But uboot seems to
be unable to boot from an unclean ext3 partition. But unclean
shutdowns may be quite common on phonse :-(. Therefore I would prefer
a solution where /boot is on ext2 only.

Gaudenz

Please CC me on replies if you want a reply from me as I'm on vacation
and don't read this list atm.
--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.