Re: Sudo mode and policykit

Am 25.03.2010 23:34, schrieb Josselin Mouette:

> Actually there are two very simple solutions, so it is really a matter
> of what design you prefer.
>      1. (Stolen from Ubuntu) Create a new “admin” group, modify
>         policykit to accept self-authentication for all members of the
>         admin group. Let d-i simply add the user to group admin if in
>         sudo mode. Bonus points for using the admin group in sudo too
>         instead of hardcoding the username.
>      2. Let d-i create a file somewhere in /etc/polkit-1 that will add
>         the created user to the list of users authorized to
>         self-authenticate.

Speaking as policykit maintainer, I have to say that I generally like
the idea of such an "admin" group and thus would prefer 1.).
One simple reason is, that later on, it's easier to grant (additional)
users admin rights: simply add them to the admin group and you're done.
For option 2.) you'd have to create user specific policykit .pkla file
which is more tedious and not many users/admins know how to configure
policykit.
groups as a matter of privilege granting is a wiedly used and understood
concept though.

Not sure what other DDs think about such an "admin" group. I heard
rumours that this was discussed in the past and not very welcomed.
If so, I'd be interested in further references.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?