Re: Preliminary patches for console-setup (for g-i)

Hi Anton,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 18:38:48 +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 01:34:57AM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> >
> >  - 0003-Try-and-preseed-a-bit-using-internal-stuff-only-for.patch:
>
> This is what caused the problems you observed:
>
> 1. The config script didn't test properly that it is executed d-i environment
>
> 2. Because of this it attempted to ask the model question.  This was
> impossible because the udeb had no strings for the keyboard models
> (to save space).
>
> 3. In result the postinst writes XKBMODEL="" in the configuration file.
>
> 4. Then the main package installed in /target.  It asked its questions
> because nobody told it not to do so.
>
> 5. Then a sanity check caused the model question to be asked for second
> time in the postinst (because of XKBMODEL="" in the configuration file,
> which should be impossible).
>
> The correct scenario is this:
>
> 1. The udeb asks it questions and creates a configuration file.
>
> 2. /usr/lib/base-installer.d/20console-setup copies the configuration
> file in /target
>
> 3. It also marks the questions of keyboard-configuration as seen (I
> haven't tested this).
>
> 4. The main package doesn't reask the questions because their seen flags
> are true.

Would it be possible/sensible for the main keyboard-configuration
package to not ask any question at a priority higher than 'low' if
/etc/default/keyboard already exists, regardless of the 'seen' flag?

In any case thanks for the quick turnaround and fix in 1.52!

Cheers,
Julien