Re: Keymap problems in D-I (was: Re: Bugs in the latest Debian Sid installer)

Am Montag 24 August 2009 14:46:18 schrieb Samuel Thibault:
> Uwe Bugla, le Mon 24 Aug 2009 14:33:31 +0200, a écrit :
> > If I do describe accurately a problem dealing with netinst image, and, as
> > a consequence, I am asked to perform a test with a netboot image (which
> > has technologically nothing to do with the netinst one - I do not have
> > discless workstations and I do not have NICs with boot PROMs), this is a
> > gesture that doesn't even intend to solve the problem itself, but instead
> > tries to play it down with the proved intention that I give up filing
> > bugs.
>
> ??!!
>
> Asking for checking with another kind of image is just the best way to
> check whether the problem is in the common content of them or somewhere
> in the difference between them.  So such test is definitely a good thing
> to do.

Sounds correct theoretically, but in this special case is untrue
unfortunately!

The solution of the problem would have been to immediately have a look whether
one of the following packages is part of the netinst image:
Either:
a. console-data plus console-common		or even
b. console-setup

It was me to tell Christian that performing an install of a.
after the first reboot (i. e. TOO LATE in so far as this MUST be part of the
basic installation) solves the problem.
It was Frans Pop telling Christian to have a look whether console-setup is
part of the netinst image.

In fact Christian did neither follow a. nor did he follow b.!

> > This is just one example of Mr. Perriers behaviour far beyond of good and
> > bad and this is the reason why I lose temper and thus decide not to
> > cooperate with him any longer....
>
> I fear you won't find many people to work with.  Googling a bit gives me
> a lot of results where developers have lost patience with you.

Nothing but superficial verbal crap! Next time please ask me before you intend
to use anything like that against me, or I will strictly ignore you for being
superficial cause I hate superficial people! Otherwise stay quiet please!

In the one case I helped to get rid of an incapable developer called Manu
Abraham responsible for a card support discontinuity of TwinHan clones (DVB
cards) for an amount of three kernels, i. e. 9 (!) months (2.6.14, 2.6.15,
2.6.16). This guy does not play his tricks against people much more
intelligent and capable than he himself will ever be. In so far my engagement
was not in vain....

In the second case I built up some public protest against a maintainer who is
known to produce unusable kernels by winking through untested crap patches in
an utmost sensitiive area called networking. His name is David S. Miller.
I can show you postings where Linus Torvalds is putting tons of shit on David.
The only difference is:
At least in some parts of the Linux society we do not live in a context with
democratic self-understanding.
A quite reactionary principle rules instead which was described by the old
Romans as follows: "Quod licet Jovi non licet Bovi!"
That sounds real imbearable not only for persons like me but that's reality.
Fact meanwhile is: Miller has become careful now, and that's exactly the
behaviour that I intended.....

> > a. I as user (administrator) give a precise description of the problem
> > that I have. Two or three feedback questions come back in some cases
> > asking me to describe the thing more precisely if I am not good enough
> > doing the description.
> > b. But then the time is right to take action as far as the developer's
> > part is concerned.

> What you're forgetting is at least two things:
>
> - the developer may have no idea where the problem is, and thus can of
>   course _not_ take any action but asking for more tests.

He received two hints from two sides - so forget about that point......

> - the developer may not have the time to take action _immediately_ and
>   thus asks for more tests

In that specific case more tests are completely irrelevant, so your point of
view is nothing but irrelevant, Samuel.....

>   so that when he gets some time he will have
>   more clues about the issue.  Acting this way asks for more time from
>   you, yes, but overall the problem can be fixed sooner, as the
>   developer can then take much more appropriate action.
>
> > I guess there are far better developers than Christian Perrier, not only
> > as part of the Debian community.
>
> When reading your mails they'll probably just refuse to interact with
> you.

Their bad luck - not mine! I do prefer real men with butts in their trousers.
Damn wimps are not welcome at all....  :)  :)

> Samuel

Uwe