Re: cdebconf-gtk-udeb: G-I no longer working with serial mice

Am Donnerstag 13 August 2009 17:20:55 schrieb Christian Perrier:
> Quoting Uwe Bugla (uwe.bugla@gmx.de):
> > But, more important than this mouse issue:
> >
> > When I am asked for either local or UTC time at the end of the
> > installation the BIOS clock should be UNTOUCHED in case of me chosing
> > "NO", i. e. chosing local time.
> > This is quite logical and would avoid lots of difficulties with the
> > fucked up filesystem (bad superblock at next boot!).
> >
> > So please do not forget to report this counterproductive timer issue as a
> > bug.
>
> I'm sorry, but this part of your mail was ununderstandable.
>
> There are two questions regarding the clock:

>  System clocks are generally set to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
>  The operating system uses your time zone to convert system time into
>  local time. This is recommended unless you also use another operating
>  system that expects the clock to be set to local time.
>
> That question is asked, in default installs, only when a Windows
> system is detected on the machine. Otherwise, it is not asked, except
> in expert installs (because setting the BIOS clock to UTC makes sense
> for any system but Windows).
>

> The other question is:

>  The Network Time Protocol (NTP) can be used to set the system's clock.
>  The installation process works best with a correctly set clock.
>
> This question is asked only in expert installs and the default answer
> is "Yes".
>
> So, depending on the combination of these two answers *and* the
> previous settings of your clock, it is correct that the BIOS clock
> *may* be adjusted by 2 hours (assuming your timezone is CET): that
> will happen if the BIOC clock *was* set on UTC, that you answered "No"
> to the question about BIOS clock being set to UTC *and* answered "Yes"
> to the question about NTP.
>
> In most situations we got reports about this feature since about 3
> years that it exists in the installer, no other big issues with the
> clock being set completely wrong was reported.
>
> So, *before* we report a bug against the relevant package, I suggest
> you check the sequence of events, and advices given in the
> installation manual. In case something wrong wrt my explanations above
> is still happening, then please report the full sequence of events so
> that we can try reproducing it (after all, there might be an unknown
> regression somewhere).
>
> The same actually stands for the issue with a serial mouse and G-I as,
> as Frans Pop mentioned in this thread, there *have* been tests of G-I
> with serial mice and special parameters need to be passed at the boot
> prompt.

Christian,

here are the facts:

a. as default installation I always use expert install
b. the NTP question I always answer with "Yes". The installer tells me that my
local time zone is "Europe / Berlin"
c. The UTC question I always answer with no, without having some crap like
Windoze installed on my HD. The question of what makes sense and what does not
I do leave open.....
d. After the installation is finished the clock setting of my BIOS was trimmed
by 2 hours which I wanted to avoid. If I change that setting calling the BIOS
Setup before booting the system for the first time the first boot attempt will
result in a corrupted superblock on /dev/hda1 (telling me that the time
setting lies in the future), which means that I am forced to repair the ext3
file system manually using "fsck.ext3 /dev/hda1".
This what I call a big pain that should be avoided.
e. In case of answering "Yes" to both the UTC and the NTP question using
expert install the current state may be OK, as the BIOS clock is being trimmed
with fact-oriented justification.
f. In case of answering "No" to the UTC question (which is my personal default
behaviour) the current state is de facto buggy, as there should not be any
screwing around in the BIOS using that specific timing setting.

Serial mouse issue:

If there are some special parameters necessary for booting the system using
serial mice those special parameters should be visible as cheatcodes, as not
too many people read specific manuals before using the latest Debian Sid
installer........

Regards

Uwe