Re: user-setup (1.24)

Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):
> On Wednesday 20 May 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> > +user-setup (1.24) unstable; urgency=low
> > +  [ Christian Perrier ]
> > +  * No longer use the "-m" switch of chpasswd. It uses PAM now and no
> > +    longer has this switch. The password will use settings from
> > +    libpam-runtime, so MD5 by default.
> >
> > Does this mean it is no longer possible to preseed using plain
> > passwords?
>
> Never mind.

Still, we have an issue (raised by Martin Michlmayr): that change will
break lenny'n'half.

We briefly discussed this on IRC with otavio and two solutions come to
mind:

- test the version of passwd in /target and adapt the behaviour of
user-setup-apply accordingly

- another solution proposed by otavio that I haven't been able to
understand: he'll propose a patch soon