Re: Call for testing of RC2 images

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:19:17AM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The Debian-CD Team has built the images based on RC2 installer and
> I'd like to ask for some tests before we finally announce the release.
>
> The images are available at http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/.lenny_bibble/
>
> Please send feedback to the mailing list (even successful ones).

Sparc (SunBlade 1000)

1. Serial console/Guided partitioning/All files in one partition - ok.
2. Terminal/Guided partitioning with LVM - fails to boot. It looks
like the LVM volumes are set up correctly, however the initramfs script
scripts/local-top/lvm2 which is supposed to start the volumes up is
not getting invoked. If I run it by hand, the device nodes in
/dev/mapper get created, and I can exit initramfs shell to
successfully complete the boot.

This machine needs firmware loaded from the USB stick, and this causes
(known?) issues: if I insert the stick to load the firmware, and then
remove it immediately after the loading step, the real disk is still
detected as /dev/sdb, and that's what gets written to the
configuration. So if I later boot without the stick, the disk is
detected as /dev/sda, causing problems. Amusingly, I can boot
when using LVM, because /boot is a separate (non-LVM) partition and is
only used to only read kernel and initrd, however filesystem check for
/dev/sdb1 (which is /boot) fails, as device does not exist.

Cheers.
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC