Re: r57267 - branches/d-i/lenny/packages/arch/powerpc/quik-installer/debian

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:28:15AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 15 January 2009, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > Log:
> > quik-installer: Set initramfs to MODULES=dep, and regenerate the
> > initrd.
> >
> > +# Set initramfs to MODULES=dep and regenerate the initramfs
> > +sed -i -e 's/MODULES=most/MODULES=dep/g'
> > /target/etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
> > +in-target update-initramfs > -u || true
>
> This is really a rather ugly solution because there really is no need to
> generate the initrd twice. It is also RC buggy as it means you mess
> around with another package's conf file, which is a policy violation.
>
> On IRC I suggested two alternative ways to do this:
>
> 21:58:18 > fjp: aurel32: Other options to set modules=dep are to code it
> in base-installer, or to include a one-liner preseed file in the initrd
> at build time.
> 22:00:06 > fjp: For base-installer, see library.sh from line 559.

We only need that on PowerPC OldWorld, so changing the initrd may break
other PowerPC subarchitectures, or that means we have to generate two
versions of the PowerPC installer.

Also I don't want to touch code that is executed by other architectures
or subarchitectures so close to the release, especially when none of
them are having a special case in library.sh.

> Maybe we should let this slide because of the closeness of the release,
> but please implement it in a cleaner manner in the near future.

I'll change that in trunk.