Re: 40r6 locks up during boot

On Monday 12 January 2009, John wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > The boot parameter fb is an alias for debian-installer/framebuffer
> > (defined in the preseed udeb).
>
> I know that, my examination of the initrd showed it. However, fb should
> be set in the environment, and I couldn't see anything that prevents
> /lib/debian-installer-startup.d/S40framebuffer-module-linux=x86 from

Huh?

/lib/debian-installer-startup.d/S40framebuffer-module-linux=x86 has:
if [ -n "$TERM_FRAMEBUFFER_TRY" ] && \
   [ "$(debconf-get debian-installer/framebuffer)" = true ]; then

The second line means that if you pass fb=false that hook script is not
going to do anything. fb=false does not belong in the environment, it is
translated to a setting in the cdebconf database.

Note that the VESA framebuffer and framebuffer console support are
compiled in. However, the VESA framebuffer should only activate if you
pass "vga=XXX" and should certainly not activate if you
pass "video=vfb:off".
It could be that some part of the framebuffer console code is still run,
even if no framebuffer is enabled, but for that you really need to talk
to kernel people.