Re: ext4 support

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 04:42:36PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> As you'll see, I decided to tweak partman-ext3 rather than create a
> new partman-ext4 component: I don't think the differences between ext3
> and ext4 from the installer point of view justify a whole new udeb.
>
> Given that we won't be looking at d-i uploads aimed at Squeeze for a
> while anyway, I'd expect there to be plenty of time to get the patches
> above applied (and if they aren't then NMUs would probably not be out of
> order). Thus, unless anyone objects, I propose to go ahead and apply the
> attached patch to trunk soon in order to make it easier for interested
> people to experiment.

Otavio said in /query on IRC that he thought the d-i bits of this looked
OK, so I've gone ahead and committed them to trunk.

I realised I'd forgotten about the kernel udebs (we do those differently
in Ubuntu so it slipped my mind). Should I just add ext4 to
kernel-wedge/modules/ext3-modules, by analogy with the way I added ext4
support to partman-ext3? Although again it perhaps feels a little odd,
it would involve the smallest source change, would avoid a pass through
NEW for kernel udebs on all architectures when we get round to uploading
all this, and generally seems as if it'd save hassle.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]