partman (etch)

Hi,

I'm trying to preseed a machine and am getting stuck on the partitioning.
This email is to ask people to search their memory to see if they recall
a similar problem.

The preseed files I am using work perfectly well with another machine,
that has a smaller hard disk (20Gb vs 40Gb).
I can also preseed the problematic machine with a different preseed
file, that has slightly different partitioning.

What happens is the following:
  clean the hard disk with
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512
  (in the installer)

  netboot the installer (version: 20070308etch2)

  partman creates /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5,
  The latter partition is set up as an LVM PV.
    (fdisk -l & pvscan confirm this)

  it then stops and complains that there is no swap space set up.

I tried an alternative procedure and got a different result.

  deleted the partitions in partition with e.g. knoppix disk.
  and empty msdos partition table remains.

  netboot the installer (version: 20070308etch2)

  partman creates /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5,
  The latter partition is set up as an LVM PV.
    (fdisk -l & pvscan confirm this)

  It then stops with a red-screen error, complaining that the
  "volume group name is already in use".

In both cases the VG name is set to the hostname, as expected.

The mystifying thing is that it works with a very similar preseed.

The partitioning preseeding commands I am using are below.
--------------------
d-i partman-auto/disk                  string  /dev/discs/disc0/disc
d-i partman-auto/method                string  lvm
d-i partman-auto/purge_lvm_from_device boolean true
d-i partman-auto-lvm/no_boot           boolean true
d-i partman-lvm/confirm                boolean true
d-i partman/confirm_write_new_label    boolean true
d-i partman/choose_partition           select  Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
d-i partman/confirm                    boolean true
d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe         string  ATNF_laptop : \
    512 2000 1024 ext3         \
        $primary{ }            \
        $bootable{ }           \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        label{ root }          \
        mountpoint{ / }        \
    .                          \
    512 2000 300% linux-swap   \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ swap }         \
        format{ }              \
    .                          \
    5120 1000 5120 ext3        \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        mountpoint{ /usr }     \
    .                          \
    5120 1000 5120 ext3        \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        mountpoint{ /usr/local }     \
    .                          \
    2048 1000 2048 ext3        \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        mountpoint{ /var }     \
    .                          \
    2048 1000 2048 ext3        \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        mountpoint{ /tmp }     \
    .                          \
    1024 1000 2048 ext3        \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        mountpoint{ /local }   \
    .                          \
    256  500 10240 ext3        \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        mountpoint{ /home }    \
    .
    10240 500 1000000000 ext3  \
        $lvmok{ }              \
        method{ format }       \
        format{ }              \
        use_filesystem{ }      \
        filesystem{ ext3 }     \
        mountpoint{ /data }    \
    .

The differences from the partitioning that works are
 the /usr/local and the /home chunks,
 and the first field of the /data chunk (10240 vs 1024).

Thoughts?