Re: lenny regression initrd/lvm/ rootfs detection timeout

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 07:04:09PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> If modprobe returns before the device is actually initialized and has
> created sysfs entries, this is probably not fixable in shell scripts.
> If, as I suspect, modprobe does not return immediately, this is probably
> a bug in the scripts that don't call udevsettle and wait for the sysfs
> entries to be turned into block devices for the next script to act on.
> Ferenc, since you are affected, can you test?

The point is that an easy fix would be to rescan lvm devices on timeout
instead of just looking for the root dev node existing.

The point is if the lvm pv's are not available on lvm scan but come up
later the whole boot process stops.

So instead of going the "right" way of using some kind of udev trigger
one could now as a quick fix rerun the lvm start script on the timeouts
which would solve the logical volume as root on late blockdev.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo@rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little