Problem with using UTF-8 for FAT?

When using an USB-stick or SD card during installation I'm seeing the
following error/warning in the syslog:
   kernel: FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems,
   filesystem will be case sensitive!

Cause is obviously the changed default charset in the kernel some time
ago. We responded to that by adding the utf8 NLS module in D-I instead of
the iso8859-1 module.

Question is: do we need to do anything about this?

If we do I guess the solution would be to add the iso8859-1 module back in
and explicitly specify the encoding to use wherever we mount FAT (with as
added problem that we often mount "auto" instead of a specific file
system).