Re: First set of hints for Debian Installer RC1

On Saturday 27 September 2008, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Frans Pop [Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:34:58 +0200]:
> > On Saturday 27 September 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > > I've reviewed all packages we track and droped the ones I belive
> > > aren't suitable for Lenny release since had many changes on it
> > > since last migrated version. Obviously if you or anyone disagree
> > > with that we can discuss it.
> >
> > Please do NOT migrate any udebs just yet.
> >
> > A new RC issue has popped up today that should be fixed first.
> > Migrating udebs before that is done could leave D-I images from
> > testing broken for for an extended period of time.
>
> Ack, please ping us again when the sync should be done.

We have now found the cause of the bug. It turns out not to be a
regression as suspected, but a very old latent bug. We will be uploading
a new version of libdebian-installer to fix this issue today.

IMO it's best to wait until with syncing until all components are
available for all arches  (at least those that are included in D-I
images) so that an upload of debian-installer itself can follow as soon
as possible afterwards so that the period during which images from
testing are broken is as short as possible.

Note that if we sync now and do a D-I upload now, we'll need at least a
second build using the new kernel that was uploaded earlier this week.
Maybe it would be best to upload new kernel udebs first as well.

Cheers,
FJP