Re: di-netboot-assistant - Debian-Installer netboot assistant

On Friday 12 September 2008, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > You could for example use this to get the version:
> > $ strings pxelinux.0 | \
> >   sed -rn "/^PXELINUX [.0-9]+/ s/^[^ ]* ([.0-9]+).*/\1/"
> > 3.71
>
> Do you think it would be a good idea to use :
>   tr -c '[:print:] ' '\n'
> instead of "strings", in order to avoid depending on binutils for
> production servers ? (popcon says that binutils is installed on 87% of
> the systems... but the figure for dhcp/tftp enabled servers is probably
> much lower).

Up to you. strings was just the first thing that came to mind for me.
There may even be smarter ways to do it. I don't know.

> I still have your request to use local images on my TODO list.

I'll leave you to play around with it a bit. It would be nice if custom
images could be assigned a class though (I mean a similar identification
to e.g. stable) and if multiple such classes could be used.

> I want something robust for Lenny+1 : Not guessing anything; Don't
> tweak configuration files (except boot arguments), consistent
> architectures handling...

Yes, there's also always the risk that we'll restructure the location
where images can be found, so having some kind of configuration file for
that would be nice.