Etch and preseeding LVM custom lv and vg names

I'm remastering an etch install cd to use and was having trouble figuring out
how to define the volume group and logical volume names during preseeding.  I
would prefer the vg0-lv0 type naming rather then the auto hostname-partition
format.

On searching the mailing list archives,  I found

and

Which are patches to support custom naming for vgs and lvs.

I tried patching etch's partman-auto-lvm(22),  and I admit,  my patch fu is
weak,  and it didn't work.

So my question is,  is there a partman-auto-lvm version in etch that I can use
to allow me to set the names? and if not,  can I build the lenny beta2 d-i,
and use an etch pool to install the stable dist?  I would like to have the cd
self contained and not need the network.

Thanks,

Ryan