Re: [patch] JFFS2 support to kernel package in d-i

* Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> [2008-07-10 18:06]:
> 1) Patches are normally submitted through the BTS. Discussion/questions
> and maybe review of rough, proposed patches beforehand is done on the
> mailing list.

The patch was discussed off-list (not ideal, but certainly better than
how most patches in d-i are handled, i.e. committed to SVN directly
without any comments or review at all).

> 2) We don't just add module udebs without also seeing something of
> the code that will use it (or at the very least a discussion of that
> code).

Per will post more patches soon. (Although it seems the jffs2 patch is
obsolete because of changes in the plans how to handle Kurobox Pro
support).

> 3) Module udebs are normally defined in kernel-wedge and then used
> in packages for specific architectures.

That's what Per did originally, but I recommended against it because
it's only needed on a single sub-arch.  I said that it could be added
to kernel-wedge once other arches actually need it.  YMMV.

> 4) Normally at least some effort is made to see if a change is also
> usable for other architectures (and if not, some explanation is
> given).

It's not.  Per didn't include a changelog to make this obvious but it
would have been something like "Add jffs2 modules on Orion because
oldsys-preseed needs to access a jffs2 fs on the Kurobox".  However,
as I indicated above, this seems no longer to be true, so this patch
is withdrawn for now.

Per will post other patches for review soon.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/