Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 05:02:08PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > The result is quite nice, and the user experience is very similar
> > between the different frontends.  The impact on the current code by
> > these changes are really low and they should be seen as strong
> > candidate for inclusion in Lenny.
>
> This should really be considered carefully, especially given the timing.

I fully agree.  But I think that including this as an extra package
would be quite safe.

> As you probably know the freeze for Lenny for libraries is expected pretty
> soon. Also, the libvte9 udeb is rather big. Even with the reduced size of
> the udeb we're looking at at least 1MB extra memory usage.

Maybe I am missing some way to reduce its size even more ; but let's
assume that the increase would be of this order.

> From the templates discussion you are leaving open whether or not to
> include it in the initrd or not. IMO we should discuss that now.

The following results are from my current development image, which
contain a little bit more changes that just cdebconf-gtk-terminal.
The only change I have made is to comment out "cdebconf-gtk-terminal" in
pkg-lists/local.

All this have been done _without_ Davide's reduced ttf-dejavu-mono-udeb.

> Questions:
> - What is size increase of initrd with this included?

Without:
14419388 netboot/gtk/debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz

With:
15187021 netboot/gtk/debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz

=> Increase of 767633 = 749 kB

> - What is memory usage increase immediately after boot if this is included
>   in initrd?

Without: 50868 kB
   With: 52320 kB

=> Increase of 1452 kB

> - Is there any increase in memory usage if shell(s) are actually started?

                           Before: 52728 kB
     (on di-utils-shell/do-shell)
                            After: 53872 kB
 (on di-utils-shell/shell-plugin)

=> Increase of 1144 kB
Subsequent shells only costs 200 kB during their execution.

> > http://people.debian.org/~lunar/ttf-dejavu_2.25-1_add_mono-udeb.diff.gz
> > * libvte9-udeb containing the VteTerminal widget used by the
> >    plugin.
> >    315kB compressed, 688kB installed
> >    http://people.debian.org/~lunar/vte_0.16.14-1_enable_udeb.diff.gz
>
> - Please shorten the long package description for the udeb.

I have reused the one from the original package.  I am going to shorten
it nevertheless.

> - I see nothing in the patch that ensures we'll get correct dependencies
>   on this udeb.

I thought that it would be enough to have in debian/control:
  Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${shlibs:Depends}

Or I might not have exactly understood what you mean…

> >  * libncurses5-udeb needed by libvte.
> >    80k compressed, 172k installed
> > http://people.debian.org/~lunar/ncurses_5.6+20080614-1_enable_udeb.diff
> >.gz
>
> For this one we need to be careful that others don't start using it for
> other purposes which may get it included in "normal" initrds. It's not
> huge, but still.

This could be prevented by statically linking libncurses5 to libvte9 in
the udeb.  Would that be a desirable option?

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism