Re: Debian 4.0r3 for s/390, network install, maybe a problem with wget???

On Jun 30, 6:00 pm, Frans Pop <elen...@planet.nl> wrote:
> On Monday 30 June 2008,Venturawrote:
>

> > ~ # wgethttp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release.gpg
> > Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org[64.50.238.52]:80
> > Release.gpg          100% |
> > **************************************************************|
> > 378       00:00 ETA
>
> > the second:
> > ~ # wgethttp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/Release
> > Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org[64.50.238.52]:80
>
> > I don't get the file. After that, I did several tests and for small
> > files, wget works but for files great then 1k it doesn't
> > work.
>
> > Very strange. I have no idea what is happening (I think it's a bug in
> > BusyBox wget).
>
> No. Just use a different mirror. ftp.us.debian.org is a round-robbin and
> is known to be sometimes unreliable because of that.
>
> Good that you've started on this, because the cause of your other problems
> is clearly that there is something wrong with the "mirror" you set up.
> It should be possible to do it that way, but basically the only way
> to "solve" the problem is to very carefully compare the contents of a
> real mirror and your own mirror.
> You really should have told us from the beginning that you were not using
> a standard mirror though...
>
> Signing your mirror is not strictly necessary. You can also tell the
> installer to ignore the GPG signature on the release file, as documented
> here (look for "debian-installer/allow_unauthenticated"):http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/s390/ch05s02.html.en
>
> Cheers,
> FJP
>
> --

Frans,
Finally I get the Linux for S/390 installed and I would like to say
what I had todo, comment my mistakes so that
it can help others in the same task.

First of all, you can't use a repository with CDs because at least in
S/390 plataform you don't have the
debian-installer tree. This is the reason I received a message "no
kernel modules available" in the first
repository.

The second problem is really related with network. The network
configuration for Hercules is made using
TUN/TAP in a logical network. The way I configured is a bit different
from most advises I found at Internet.
I refuse to use iptables, in my concept I don't need. What I do is
configure two lines in /etc/sysctl.conf:
"net.ipv4.conf.all.forwarding=1", to force the routing and second is
"net.ipv4.conf.all.proxy_arp=1" to
force the tun0 external interface forward arp requests to go and forth
to hercules tap0 interface.

To make my external router to understand where is the tap0, I had to
include one route through tun0.
I did a lot of tests logged as "installer" in a shell at Hercules and
could get small files from Internet using
wget but only for files < 1k (I don't know why).

I did a mirror inside my local network using apt-mirror and the same
problem persist.

Another problem was with file system, xfs doesn't work, only ext3.

My last try was prepare a mirror in the same machine where Hercules is
running and finished successfully.

Ventura