Re: Preseed partition scheme

On Thursday 05 June 2008, Francisco Castanheiro wrote:
> That kickstart option, on install, removes hda2 and hda3 and then
> creates all the necessary partitions on the free space.
>
> My questions are:
> A - Can i do the same with debian installer?

Yes, but only if you make sure the existing unwanted partitions are
removed _before_ partman is run. You can then use the "Use largest free
space option" of the guided partitioner, probably even in combination
with a custom recipe if needed.

This can be done for example by using preseeding to add a script with a
low number in /lib/partman/init.d that takes care of deleting the
unwanted partitions.
See the appendix on preseeding in the installation guide for details,
especially the preseed/early_command option.

> B - If the answer for A is "No", can i manually create the partitions
> (i have a "network live cd" for admin tools) and then, do an
> installation on the existing partitions without the installer ever
> touch my hda1 partition?

Yes, that is possible (of course I'd almost say), but not for automated
installations.

> C - Any other option?

Several people have found workarounds for this limitation.
The basic principle is to create your own custom partitioning component
that does exactly what you want and have the installer run that _just
before_ partman would be called. If that udeb performs all of the
functions of partman (including mounting the partitions and creating a
correct fstab), you can then have the installer completely skip partman
by having your custom udeb "Provide" the same pseudo-packages as partman
provides and other components Depend on.

Basic info about the installer and installer components can be found here:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/doc/internals/

Cheers,
FJP