Re: mirror and language selection not working together well

Quoting Martin Michlmayr (tbm@cyrius.com):
> A few weeks ago something changed regarding the way the country is
> chosen.  Right now, the mirror and language selection don't work
> together very well: I tell the mirror selection tool which country I
> live in, but the country/language selection tool doesn't default to
> that country.
>
> When I go through d-i, this is what happens:
>
> Choose a mirror of the Debian archive
>  - Austria
> Choose language (Choose a continent or region): Africa, Antartica, etc
>  - Europe
> Choose language (Choose a country, territory or area): Albania, Andorra, etc
>  - Austria
>
> Why is Africa the country rather than Europe (1st language question),
> and Albania rather than Austria (2nd language question)?  It would be
> nice to figure out based on the mirror which contintent/country I
> might be in.

Correct mle if I'm wrong, but you're actually in a situation where the
country is asked *after* mirror. IIRC, this happens on some
architectures (for size constraints, IIRC).

More or less, nothing was really planned to work in such situations
and I guess that the deep changes to localechooser (which improved it
a *lot*) have missed that "feature" (which might very well have been
just accidental) and broke it inadvertently.

I think we can probably add some logic in localechooser to get it
preseeded by the mirror's contry, though. However, we should be
careful about not breaking some other logic...which might be very much
important or frequent to happen.