Kernel selection on i386 for Xen compatibility

Hi guys,

In order to support running the installer in a Xen guest it is necessary
to install a PAE (686-bigmem) kernel if the hypervisor is either PAE or
64 bit. It is possible to write a little utility which will query the
hypervisor for this information but it seem like it would be easier to
simply key off the mode the installer is running PAE or not.

There doesn't seem to be any precedent for inspecting $(uname -r) in
base-installer/kernel so I would like some advice on what the most
acceptable approach would be. Shall I define a new environment variable
${DI_FLAVOUR} passed to the base-installer/kernel scripts containing the
kernel suffix (i.e. -486 vs -686-bigmem) or ...

Since I'm in the area -- what do people think about installing a
686-bigmem kernel by default if pae is present in /proc/cpuinfo &&
memory size (from /proc/???) is >= 4GiB?

Thanks,
Ian.

--
Ian Campbell